Friday, September 17, 2010

Saw that one movie

Yup. It was a movie. And I saw it. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining. Thought provoking? Some might say. It made me think- but there's very little that doesn't make me think. What sort of thoughts? I'm not sure. In this case, about movie making and the relationship between actions and character. It's a movie about bank robbers and the drama surrounding that lifestyle. I feel like Boston is the new Philadelphia. I refer you to The Departed, Mystic River and the Fighter. The second set of movies really just includes the Rocky movies and Philadelphia (Tom Hanks and Denzel). So me saying Boston is the new Philadelphia is really just me saying, 'I have weird thoughts about movies'.
So what did I think about while watching this movie? First- about movies. This movie is basically a far-fetched action movie masquerading as a heist film with an oddly hollow romantic aspect. I remember reading about how romantic movies in the last ten years have failed to develop relationships. There's no real reason why the romantic leads are together, it just sort of happens because they're the romantic leads in a movie and everyone knows that they're going to be romantic together. I should probably watch some older movies in the 'golden age' of romantic movies. I should give a shout out to A. Molina and Lark for putting on Gone With The Wind, but I didn't actually watch it. I mostly just thought about how that would fit into my plan to assess the difference between 'golden age' romance and modern romance vis a vis the relationship between movie romance and real romance. So- props for watching good old Scarlett and Rhett and reminding me of the 'dearth of fleshed out romances in modern cinema'. Can't remember who wrote about that, but I do remember it bothered me. So anyways. The Town. What should I say about it? I feel like there's some expectation that we all should have something substantive and amazing to say about everything. I'm not sure where it comes from, but it's the source of all these people taking notes in church that they'll never read and all these self important blogs(including this one) and the cluttered book stores full of eight million books about nothing or how to do eight million things in a hundred different ways. I was listening to NPR's Fresh Air today, and that Supreme Court Justice who was on Larry King Live was talking about his book. I remember one of the blurbs from Larry King- 'More Americans know the names of the three stooges than three supreme court justices.' You think? The three stooges' names haven't ever changed and there are only three of them. At my last count(wikipedia's last count) Elena Kagan is justice number 112. What are you trying to prove by saying that more Americans know the names of the three stooges (there's actually four, Wikipedia just told me)? It's obvious and completely irrelevant. Nevertheless, there it is on the scroll at the bottom of the screen for us all to ooh and ahh about. It'd ridiculous.

2 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger John said...

Good point about the three stooges. Wouldn't it be amazing though if there were a movie about Sandra Day O'Conner and, um, I guess John Marshall, since I can't name any other Supreme Judges (Is that what they're called?) got together vis-a-vis a time machine? You wouldn't even NEED relationship development, the chemistry would be so hot. And vis a vis must be said with a british accent a la david brent.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Free Poker Money said...

The Departed, Mystic River and the Fighter. The second set of movies really just includes the Rocky movies and Philadelphia (Tom Hanks and Denzel).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home