Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Smiths being Awesome

So, apparently the Smiths are freaking awesome. I never knew. And apparently nobody in the band's last name is Smith. Wierd, huh? Recently, I've become obsessed with their music. Just like in the past I was obsessed with Styx. 80s bands whose names start with S...interesting. This Smiths obsession has been fueled by my recent discovery of ourtunes(a version of gettunes for us lowly PC users). Ironically, ourtunes has increased the size of my music collection by so much that I haven't even listened to a lot of the new stuff I've downloaded. So even though I have all sorts of new music, I don't listen to it. If I were to listen to all of the new music I have, it would take me two days without stopping. That's a lot. But as it is, I listen to the same stuff over and over again. It's really making me want an iPod.
I was at Pure Volume and Smart Punk the other day and I realized how many bands there are out there. It's unfathomable. Seriously. I mean, just here in Provo we have a lot of bands. Last Friday I had to choose between going to go see Another Statistic and Details of Speech. I've seen both bands already (they did a show together up in Midvale) and I really like both of them. Then there's The Denver Office, Beta B, and a number of other bands that I don't even know about. It's seriously overwhelming.
I'm going to the Modest Mouse concert @ in the venue on Friday. Heard about it at the Moving Units show at the Lo-Fi Cafe three weeks ago(also an amazing band- check them out). Anyways, point of the post is that there is a lot of music. A lot of stuff made with the same three or four instruments. And yet it's all distinctive. Crazy crazy world.
So this weekend started out really good, ended not so good, and when it ended I felt like crap. The whole deer situation really bummed me out. But then I had an epiphany on Monday morning. Seeing the deer die helped me realize that things weren't as bad as they seemed on Sunday. I am not a dead deer, and so even though sometimes I might feel like that, a lot worse things could have happened to me. It's way difficult to keep that in mind, but it helps me to get through the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home