Sunday, November 07, 2004

Hollywood

Our lives are dull. This is why the entertainment industry has business. We all want to escape and pretend that our lives are interesting. We need to pretend that our lives have meaning and that we can be beautiful and strong and skilled and be so much better than the other guy that we make him look stupid and ignorant. We need to believe that there is something out there more interesting and important than the 9-5 monotony of daily life. When we watch an action movie, we don't take what the guys who get beaten up feel like. I always feel bad for them. I think that if I was an action figure...I'd wind up like them. Well, I would like to be like Jason Bourne, but then I think that maybe I would really be like the guy he kills with a pen.
I went to the Final Cut Film Festival tonight. It was fun. The movies were ok. Some better than others. A guy from my ward was in the funniest movie. Jon Heder, from Napoleon Dynamite was in another. There was this one film about a crazy mortician. There was this one scene and the mortician was trying to close his eye because he had some disease that didn't let him close it. It was a very frustrating scene. Come to think of it, one time I couldn't open my eye for like..three days because I got into poison ivy. It was frustrating and maybe that's why it frustrated me more than the people I saw it with.
On a separate note, a hotel workers' strike in Sa n Francisco made my Arabic professor postpone our midterm. I was happy as I didn't study and I now have two more days to study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home