Sunday, February 06, 2005

Musick

My roommates have distinct musical preferences (mostly they listen to the Strokes and old school Hip Hop) and, according to them, my musical taste is deficient. This is because I have a particularly strong affinity for punk music and, more specifically, punk-influenced music. Despite the allure Punk has for me, I attempt to maintain a unique musical spectrum, and thus my collection of music includes a large subsection of the Angry Girl Music genre (Tori Amos, Sarah Mclachlan, Tracy Chapman, Sheryl Crow, Letters to Cleo…). I say Angry Girl Music and you might think I mean music that Angry Girls make, but I really mean music that I envision Angry Girls listening to. This could be completely off and no Angry Girls actually listen to this music, but that’s my mental picture of who the principal audience is. I like to think that I’m a big fan of Emo, but apparently my concept of Emo is really Pop-Punk. Now- the differences between real Emo and what I listen to elude me to this day. Apparently Sunny Day Real Estate IS emo, but the Get Up Kids are NOT Emo. Recently I had the shocking realization that what I thought was screamo is really….I’m not sure what. And apparently Saetia IS Screamo but Thrice, Emery and Underoath aren’t even though they say they are. So….what is what? How is a well-intentioned guy like me supposed to know the difference between Emo, Screamo and Pop-punk?
All of the confusion that I experience as a cause of multi-genre cross pollination is quite unfortunate. It’s unfortunate because a big part of Who You Are is what kind of music you listen to. If I start talking about how much I like Emo- someone will inevitably ask ‘what’s Emo?’ And I have no answer. But there must be a name for the genre of music I listen to. And Pop-punk just doesn’t do it for me.
So I think to myself… is my music Who I Am? Why do I listen to the music I listen to? There must be some reason other than social pressure and conditions. Like, if I was a black man, would I listen predominantly to rap or would I still have an affinity to punk-esque music?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home