Sunday, August 17, 2008

Looking at pictures

I can't decide what to think about looking at pictures of my former life as a ski bum or pictures of other people doing the same. It makes me ask questions like 'Why am I in Georgia? It makes your sweat smell like urine slash there's a lot more of it to go around, you can't see any mountains, and it's not Utah. Or British Columbia. Or Alaska. Or any number of places which I would choose to spend my time. So yeah. Sorry if the sweat comment was too much information, I just really don't understand it. If anyone knows of a solution- don't be afraid to share. At any rate, I've spent a good part of the weekend 1)trying to figure out how to salvage together some method of putting pictures on the interweb so that all of my fans back home can see what my new life here in Georgia looks like. 2) Looking at all my fans' pictures to see what their life looks like in wherever it is that they are. Since I love lists(they're so easy to read and aesthetically pleasing), here's a list of things that have changed in my life:
  • Whereas my hair used to feel too long when it was... 4 inches long? it now feels too long when it's 3/8 of an inch long.
  • Whereas I used to lament having to wake up before noon, now if I get to sleep past 6 it's a good day
  • Whereas I used to spend most of my waking hours angsting over what such and such a girl thought about me, now I don't meet girls. At all. I've become celibate and didn't even realize it. At least when I went on a mission I knew it was coming
  • Whereas I used to avoid wearing shoes at all costs, I now wear 8 inch high boots all day long, everyday. It's killing me.
  • Whereas I used to pour over the latest Patagonia catalog, now I browse the US Cav store, Commando's and Ranjer Joe's for the latest tactical gear and camouflage, and satellite telephone antennas.
  • Whereas I used to lament the a)pathetic driving abilities of Utah drivers and b)the horrible traffic patterns in Provo; now I wish I could a)drive a car and b)deal with the horrible traffic patterns in Provo.
Now, I don't want you to get the impression that I hate my life and yada yada. I just wish I was in Utah doing whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it. I liked that. I like being here, too. Ultimately, I like being here more when I don't look at pictures or think about being home with the people I love and doing the things I love. Nevertheless, those experiences make me who I am, and I don't dare to forget them. I'm rambling. And this is basically a continuation of my last post. Don't think this is a rant about how my life sucks and woe is me. On the contrary. It's merely a commentary on pictures and memories and their effect on me. On the one side, it depresses me that I'm not there still and that I'm a freaking 'adult' doing 'adult' things and attempting to live my crazy beliefs that even I don't understand 100% of the time. Simultaneously, it makes me happy to remember all the good times I've had with friends and family and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Moral of the story- thanks for all the aforementioned good times and hopefully we'll be able to make some more memories here before too much time goes by and we turn into old people.

Pictures coming soon- I found the charging cable for my camera tonight after I threatened it with purchasing a replacement.

2 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger megan said...

Wait, so you hate life and woe is you?

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger T.R. said...

Randy, this post inspired me to write a blog entry on this topic at Swirly Patterns:

http://trbrooks.blogspot.com

Oh and "this too shall pass" or something like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home